For gatherings large and small, new spaces bring to life the best in design, arts and culinary.
SAN FRASCISCO – Across San Francisco, several new meetings and events spaces as diverse as the city itself have opened over the past few months, with more exciting openings slated throughout the year. From spaces fit for small gatherings to large-scale conferences, these new locations offer unique settings ranging from sophisticated dining destinations and relaxed cocktail lounges with stunning views of the bay, to beautifully re-designed gathering spaces in some of the city’s most iconic buildings.
Spaces Open Now
- In September of 2022, San Francisco’s South of Market (SOMA) neighborhood welcomed AFICI – a fine dining destination by Alexander’s Steakhouse Group. AFICI showcases contemporary American cuisine with influences from French and Italian flavors and techniques, along with a full beverage program that includes a curated wine list, a selection of highly allocated spirits, and a menu of cocktails. AFICI offers a flexible private dining space for larger groups with seating for up to 40 and can also create smaller spaces for groups of up to 20. AFICI is helmed by Chef Eric Upper and boasts a culinary and front-of-house team that brings experience from local award-winning dining destinations to Michelin star restaurants from across the United States.
- Eco Terreno Wines & Vineyard have transformed a three-story food and beverage space in San Francisco’s North Beach neighborhood and introduced three new experiences, all available for private events: an Urban Tasting Room, Opens in new window the Lyon & Swan Supper ClubOpens in new window, and an Exhibition Kitchen. Each space offers a unique experience, from the Urban Tasting Room, the first biodynamic urban tasting room in the industry, to the Lyon & Swan Supper Club that pairs dinner menus incorporating organic produce and herbs from the Eco Terreno vineyard with lively entertainment, and the Exhibition Kitchen that was designed as an educational space for private events.
- Cavaña a new rooftop lounge located atop the LUMA Hotel San FranciscoOpens in new window in San Francisco’s Mission Bay neighborhood, is now open and available for private events. The lounge is a Latin American cocktail bar whose design, art, and cocktail and culinary menus celebrate the spirit of South and Central America, while its indoor-outdoor space offers views of San Francisco’s skyline and the surrounding bay. Cavaña’s location is hard to beat as it sits above LUMA Hotel – the first development in the emerging Mission Bay – and is near Oracle Park, Chase Center and within close proximity to the hub of San Francisco’s South of Market (SOMA) neighborhood.
- Bar Sprezzatura is a new aperitivo and cicchetti bar located in San Francisco’s Financial District that takes design inspiration from mid-century Venice. Available for private group reservations, the venue’s expansive bar highlights a cocktail list inspired by Italy and includes everything from classic cocktails and negronis to zero-proof options, along with a wine list inspired by a coastal journey around Italy. The food at Bar Sprezzatura is inspired by cicchetti bars of Venice and includes a menu of small Italian bites to heartier dishes.
- PABU Izakaya, a Japanese restaurant located in the heart of San Francisco’s Financial District that offers a modern take on traditional izakaya-style dining, has expanded its restaurant space and added a new, glass closed atrium space perfect for small, private events. The room seats up to 20, looks out onto the 101 California Plaza and includes a Cherry Blossom mural. This new space is the latest in PABU’s offerings for private and semi-private spaces. The restaurant also boasts 10 and 12-seat rooms for private events, along with its semi-private HIKYAKI ROOM, separated from the restaurant by traditional sliding shoji screens, with space for a seated event of 76 or 105 for a standing reception.
- City Cruises San Francisco’s newly refreshed flagship yacht, The California Hornblower, has returned to its fleet of Bay Area city cruise vessels ready to host corporate and private events and live experiences. The reimagined 550 passenger Hornblower features upgrades including refurbished bars, dance floors, lobby, and restrooms. One of eight vessels in the fleet, The Hornblower takes guests out on the San Francisco Bay where they can experience iconic views from the water, including the Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, and Alcatraz Island.
- For a unique outdoor setting, San Francisco’s newest park, the Presidio Tunnel Tops, has outdoor space available for rent for group events. More than two decades in the making and designed by James Corner Field Operations (the firm behind New York’s High Line), the park comprises 14 acres of new national parkland, adding to the Presidio’s existing 1,500 acres. The park offers access to scenic overlooks with stunning views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the city, paths and gardens, and a welcome plaza with food and visitor services.
- The InterContinental® Mark Hopkins San Francisco recently unveiled a complete renovation of its event space, the Peacock Court Ballroom. With room for up to 800 guests, the 4,400-square-foot ballroom now features three new grand chandeliers, a new mint and gold focused color palette, new wallpaper and drapery designs on its floor-to-ceiling windows and stage.
Spaces Welcoming Events in 2023
- San Francisco’s Dogpatch neighborhood is now home to the new Institute of Contemporary Art San Francisco (ICA SF). The noncollecting museum features need-to-know, civically engaged local artists and curators, and brings international artists to the Bay Area. Beginning this summer, ICA SF will have a flexible facility rental offering for events ranging from 30 guests up to 300. The 76,000 square foot space features three distinct galleries, along with a kitchen and patio space – all available for rent based on event type and specific needs.
- In the heart of downtown San Francisco, The Conservatory at One Sansome is slated to open as a new, 8,000-square-foot event space in April 2023. The thoughtfully reimagined space is crowned by a soaring glass atrium that floods the fully unobstructed with natural light and punctuated by granite-clad, 38-foot Doric columns. It is designed to offer an indoor/outdoor gathering space. The Conservatory has a standing capacity of more than 2,000 guests, on-site access to BART and Muni, and is positioned just four blocks from Moscone Center, making it well-prepared to host large-scale events. The event space encompasses the main Conservatory, a 5,500-square-foot Business Park with newly designed private conference rooms, dining rooms and a break-out space, and an ultra-luxe 2,000-square-foot Holbrook House restaurant and bar.
- Located in the iconic 100 Stockton building in San Francisco’s Union Square, Convene, a hospitality company that designs, builds, and manages premium meeting, event, and flexible office spaces, is slated to open a 65,000-square-foot space by the end of this year. The space will comprise of six unique meeting rooms that can be configured to accommodate various event types – from town halls to classroom-style learning, corporate social events, and more.
- Ballast Point Brewing Company’s new tasting room and kitchen located in San Francisco’s Mission Bay will rolling out private event programming in late March. The 12,000 square foot space is within walking distance to the Chase Center as well as Oracle Park and offers a rotating tap list and a menu of elevated pub food. As part of its event programming, the tasting room will offer private and semiprivate dining options, with room for up to 285 guests for receptions and up to 165 guests for seated events.